Writers Online
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» Workshop Meeting 6th October
Inspiration and Ideas EmptyTue Oct 06, 2009 12:21 pm by MistyBlue

» Sniffly and Snuffly
Inspiration and Ideas EmptyWed Sep 30, 2009 2:03 pm by SammyR

» How much do freelancers make?
Inspiration and Ideas EmptyWed Sep 30, 2009 2:02 pm by SammyR

» Newbie on the scene.
Inspiration and Ideas EmptyWed Sep 30, 2009 9:10 am by Starflower

» Grammar and Good Writing
Inspiration and Ideas EmptyTue Sep 29, 2009 11:43 pm by Crakan68

» Book Excerpt
Inspiration and Ideas EmptyTue Sep 29, 2009 7:58 pm by MistyBlue

» Cancelled - Group Meeting on Tuesday 29th September 2009
Inspiration and Ideas EmptyThu Sep 24, 2009 2:25 pm by MistyBlue

» Nice to meet you
Inspiration and Ideas EmptyThu Sep 24, 2009 11:37 am by DanielaJackson

Inspiration and Ideas EmptyThu Sep 24, 2009 11:34 am by DanielaJackson

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Social bookmarking

Social bookmarking reddit      

Bookmark and share the address of Writers Workshop on your social bookmarking website

Bookmark and share the address of Writers Online on your social bookmarking website

Inspiration and Ideas

+3
SammyR
Crakan68
MistyBlue
7 posters

Go down

Inspiration and Ideas Empty Inspiration and Ideas

Post  MistyBlue Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:57 am

Ideas are those elusive things which appear to be all around us, yet often remain invisibly silent! When an idea strikes do we merely ponder it and let it pass unnoticed? Or are we simply not looking hard enough or 'thinking' deeply enough about the world around us?

Some tips here for finding ideas would be great for those who seem to find it difficult to do so. Where do people out there gather their ideas from, how difficult do you find it to make them up from scratch?

In my case I don't seem to have too much problem finding 'ideas' but I definitely get stuck in developing them into more solid plot possibilities. Hopefully with practice I will be flying through my outlines with ease!

The way I find ideas is by looking at normal people in much more detail than usual. Normally I would never usually pay much attention to detail, I would notice things, but not really register them. For instance, I would notice a passing middle aged woman who had a very crinkled pantyhose walking past. I would find that a detail I could use in my characterisation.

It's just a matter of being observant when you wouldn't normally bother!

Back to top Go down

Inspiration and Ideas Empty Dreams

Post  Crakan68 Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:11 pm

Sometiems the bester ideas are dreamt - as long as you can remember them. Unfortunately the best ones seem to evaportae as soon as you open your eyes!

Crakan68
Rookie Writer

Back to top Go down

Inspiration and Ideas Empty Re: Inspiration and Ideas

Post  SammyR Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:56 pm

Crakan68 wrote:Sometiems the bester ideas are dreamt - as long as you can remember them. Unfortunately the best ones seem to evaportae as soon as you open your eyes!

maybe they are just too good for this world?? Cool
SammyR
SammyR
Trainee Writer

Back to top Go down

Post  Athas Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:56 pm

Crakan68 wrote:Sometiems the bester ideas are dreamt - as long as you can remember them. Unfortunately the best ones seem to evaportae as soon as you open your eyes!

I think that's because trying to remember a dream makes you forget it ironically. Anyway I've had some dreams that I've thought to myself that would make a great book or even film. However once my brain is properly awake I realise it really was actually shite. Then there's the other ideas I just forget like you Crakan.
Athas
Athas
Rookie Writer

Back to top Go down

Post  angelblade1889 Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:50 am

With poems, they just pop into my head and I have to run to get a pen and write it down...sometimes even at 3am!!!
With writing (well writing excercises) I just sit and think where am I and take it from there...maybe that's why I have no plans to take writing further lol...can't imagine stories like, the lord of the rings came about so easily.
angelblade1889
angelblade1889
Rookie Writer

Back to top Go down

Post  MistyBlue Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:04 am

I think that writing is not that different from poetry at all except in structure. I know some people prefer poetry but I can't imagine not being able to write freely using whatever sentences I like to tell a story. I find poetry a bit limiting in that way but thats just my personal thing.

Yeah the Lord of the Rings is a whopper and took Tolkien what, twelve years to finally round it all up? That is not what you call an average author writing an average sized book in 3-12 months. That's a lifetime aim and achievement. Plus he was an Oxford uni professor of english literature etc so he really was in a bit of a league of his own. There is no way most people can replicate that, so far just a rare few like some of the very successful fantasy authors you get today...JK Rowling or Robert Jordan and his 12 book series?

Regular authors are no way near as prolific as that lol.

Very Happy
MistyBlue
MistyBlue
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Athas Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:43 am

MistyBlue wrote:Robert Jordan and his 12 book series?

He never finished that series and he died earlier this year. Pity cause I read the first eleven. Someone else was due to finish the last one but now its been split into 4. :'(

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Memory_of_Light
Athas
Athas
Rookie Writer

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:28 am

I am one of those people that never come up with any ideas, original ones anyway.. I can spend 6 months thinking about an idea before even touching pen to paper.
Martin
Martin
Rookie Writer

Back to top Go down

Post  TheJoker Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:31 pm

I see things visually at first, does anyone else do that? I picture scenes and colours then I follow them wherever they lead in my mind and later turn them into words and stories.
TheJoker
TheJoker
Rookie Writer

Back to top Go down

Post  MistyBlue Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:41 pm

TheJoker wrote:I see things visually at first, does anyone else do that? I picture scenes and colours then I follow them wherever they lead in my mind and later turn them into words and stories.

To a certain extent, I try to visualise the 'scenery' to get a feel for the atmosphere etc. I think 'The Time Travellers Wife' does a pretty good job setting the scene for each time travel episode the hero finds himself in.

I think not everyone visualises (or dreams) in colour though, am I right?
MistyBlue
MistyBlue
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  angelblade1889 Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:23 am

I don't know misty....I dream in colour, and I also die in many of my deams lol maybe I just don't like myself much when I'm asleep lol
angelblade1889
angelblade1889
Rookie Writer

Back to top Go down

Post  MistyBlue Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:16 am

Dying in your sleep is supposed to mark the end of a bad period in your life not the end of your life lol. It can often be affected by your last thoughts or state of mind before you fall asleep, which is why I think some people recommend a bit of meditation or prayer before sleep.
MistyBlue
MistyBlue
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  TheJoker Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:26 pm

angelblade1889 wrote:I don't know misty....I dream in colour, and I also die in many of my deams lol maybe I just don't like myself much when I'm asleep lol

Misty is kind of right. Dreaming of your death often means something inside you has died. or that you will experience some kind of loss, a death of something in your life.
TheJoker
TheJoker
Rookie Writer

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum