Writers Online
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» Workshop Meeting 6th October
Current book reads or favourites? EmptyTue Oct 06, 2009 12:21 pm by MistyBlue

» Sniffly and Snuffly
Current book reads or favourites? EmptyWed Sep 30, 2009 2:03 pm by SammyR

» How much do freelancers make?
Current book reads or favourites? EmptyWed Sep 30, 2009 2:02 pm by SammyR

» Newbie on the scene.
Current book reads or favourites? EmptyWed Sep 30, 2009 9:10 am by Starflower

» Grammar and Good Writing
Current book reads or favourites? EmptyTue Sep 29, 2009 11:43 pm by Crakan68

» Book Excerpt
Current book reads or favourites? EmptyTue Sep 29, 2009 7:58 pm by MistyBlue

» Cancelled - Group Meeting on Tuesday 29th September 2009
Current book reads or favourites? EmptyThu Sep 24, 2009 2:25 pm by MistyBlue

» Nice to meet you
Current book reads or favourites? EmptyThu Sep 24, 2009 11:37 am by DanielaJackson

Current book reads or favourites? EmptyThu Sep 24, 2009 11:34 am by DanielaJackson

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Social bookmarking

Social bookmarking reddit      

Bookmark and share the address of Writers Workshop on your social bookmarking website

Bookmark and share the address of Writers Online on your social bookmarking website

Current book reads or favourites?

+2
angelblade1889
MistyBlue
6 posters

Go down

Current book reads or favourites? Empty Current book reads or favourites?

Post  MistyBlue Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:31 am

Ok Currently it is Twilight by Stephenie Meyer. I don't normally read this type of book but I fancied a change. So far I'm not all that impressed. It's heavily based upon characterisation (mainly Bella and her vamp) although not necessarily a bad thing, it just means the plot wears particularly thin. I find it a little too unbalanced in that respect. I'd describe it as a 'love story with the occasional baring of fangs!' I feel that not very much has happened in the book at all even though I am about two thirds of the way through. Then again, some people like slow moving stories.
MistyBlue
MistyBlue
Admin

Back to top Go down

Current book reads or favourites? Empty Re: Current book reads or favourites?

Post  angelblade1889 Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:54 am

My favorite read of all time is The Lord of The Rings....I first read it when I was 9yrs old and my school told me it was too advanced for me...lol, my Mum went and sorted that one out Smile
I like reading James Patterson books, but I still re-read TLOTR, once every 1-2 years.
I recently read Slash...a good insight into his childhood and upbringing...it explains a lot Laughing
angelblade1889
angelblade1889
Rookie Writer

Back to top Go down

Post  MistyBlue Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:21 am

angelblade1889 wrote:My favorite read of all time is The Lord of The Rings....I first read it when I was 9yrs old and my school told me it was too advanced for me...lol, my Mum went and sorted that one out Smile
I like reading James Patterson books, but I still re-read TLOTR, once every 1-2 years.
I recently read Slash...a good insight into his childhood and upbringing...it explains a lot Laughing

Haha I'm ashamed to say that I haven't read it! Embarassed Ok spank my bum lol But I have seen the film does that count? lol I have attempted a few times and I don't know why but i never seemed to get there!

I think I read one James P Book and can't even remember what it was called so it probably didn't leave any lasting pleasure. Oh and one of the best books I have recently read is 'The Book Thief' by Marcus Zusak - interesting book because the Narrator is Death and he collects souls, and he is particularly interested in the life of a little girl struggling to survive in Nazi Germany. Really good style of writing!
MistyBlue
MistyBlue
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  SammyR Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:07 pm

My fave all tiem book ever is "The Miracle life of Edgar Mint!" by brady udall. Ok, I'll post a brief on it so you see what its about

A seven-year-old boy on an Apache Indian reservation has his head run over by a mail truck. Though his skull is crushed, he survives the accident after being resuscitated by a possibly deranged hospital intern. After three months in a coma, Edgar wakes up to find himself surrounded by other survivors of horrific accidents. Alcoholic Art Crozier, pieced together after the car crash that killed his wife and daughters, takes the boy under his wing. When Edgar recovers his health but loses the ability to write with a pen, Art gives him an old Hermes typewriter. He is soon filling up page after page in an attempt to make sense of his increasingly dismal fate. Abandoned by his grandmother and alcoholic mother, Edgar is sent to live at a boarding school cum dumping ground for unwanted Indian children. After several years and many run-ins with the pathologically cruel bully Nelson Norman, Edgar is finally taken into foster care by a Mormon family in Utah. But despite this turn of better fortune, Edgar's one wish remains: to bring the good news of his survival to the mailman who ran him over. His search leads him to a small town in Pennsylvania, where a profoundly ironic tragedy awaits, and where he finally finds a loving home. The Miracle Life of Edgar Mint is an immensely enjoyable story, with an unforgettable hero whose troubles and yearnings are completely captivating. While Edgar suffers many losses, including the loss of most of the illusions that make people's lives bearable, he maintains his innate goodness and his belief in the redeeming power of language. The result is a miracle of storytelling, bursting with heartache and hilarity!

Ok maybe it wasnt so brief lol sorry. But its great! Very Happy
SammyR
SammyR
Trainee Writer

Back to top Go down

Post  SammyR Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:09 pm

By the way misty i love your sig LOL !
SammyR
SammyR
Trainee Writer

Back to top Go down

Post  angelblade1889 Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:34 pm

That sounds like a great story Sammy, but the heart ache may be a bit much for me!
Misty...seeing TLOTR films does give you a lot of the story, and the films did have an awful lot in them and are very very well done, but there is so much more in the book that they just couldn't fit into the films. Still it is one of theose books that you just have to get into early on or would be impossible to read. I think I fell in love with it because I read it at such an early age when my imagination was running riot lol
angelblade1889
angelblade1889
Rookie Writer

Back to top Go down

Post  MistyBlue Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:14 am

SammyR wrote:By the way misty i love your sig LOL !

Thanks Very Happy

Yep the problem I find is there are just too many books I would pick up and read, even if just to confirm that they are crap lol.. if I try to balance that between writing a book, studying about writing a book, and reading the stacks of books I have.. well I would be at it 24/7 lol! Wink
MistyBlue
MistyBlue
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  SammyR Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:04 pm

At least reading is better than boring repeats on TV! Rolling Eyes
SammyR
SammyR
Trainee Writer

Back to top Go down

Post  Fanmale Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:54 am

The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins.

http://richarddawkins.net/godDelusion
Fanmale
Fanmale
Rookie Writer

Back to top Go down

Post  Athas Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:38 am

My favourite of all time the Lord of the rings but I was beat to it by angelblade

I'm currently reading "Romes Burning" which is wierd. Its set in the Roman empire in the present day. I never noticed that it was present day
until they mentioned aeroplanes. I re read that paragraph several times thinking it was just me being confused. I really should
pay more attention to the back of the books when I buy them.

I'm getting frustrated with how little time I have to read at the moment though.

Also I'm fond of the discworld novels.

MistyBlue wrote:Ok Currently it is Twilight by Stephenie Meyer.

I haven't read it but its got a reputation as a teenage novel or is it novels?

angelblade1889 wrote:My favorite read of all time is The Lord of The Rings.

Yeah mine too actually. I read the hobbit as a child but I must have been fourteen before I discovered the lord of the rings. I haven't read it reciently. But I have read it about 6 times.

What is it with that book that people say "I read it every couple of years"

SammyR wrote:My fave all tiem book ever is "The Miracle life of Edgar Mint!" by brady udall. Ok, I'll post a brief on it so you see what its about

Ok maybe it wasnt so brief lol sorry. But its great! Very Happy

I've read this and I enjoyed it but I've forgotten most of it. The thing that sticks in my head is when he was trying to hurt his again
with either a toilet or a typewriter.

Its a funny book as far as I remember. However since the arrival of our toddler. My memories going to pot.

Fanmale wrote:The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins.

http://richarddawkins.net/godDelusion

Ohh looks intresting.
Athas
Athas
Rookie Writer

Back to top Go down

Post  MistyBlue Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:20 pm

Athas wrote:
MistyBlue wrote:Ok Currently it is Twilight by Stephenie Meyer.
I haven't read it but its got a reputation as a teenage novel or is it novels?

Yes and it's a series of books + movie now, I believe. Not really the sort of thing I would read but I enjoyed the 80's vampire movie 'The Lost Boys' and so I thought it might be something similar to that. As I've said somewhere before, it's a slow read and I'm not really getting excited about it to be honest (possibly because I am not a teenager!) but really hate leaving books abandoned half way.
MistyBlue
MistyBlue
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Fanmale Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:23 am

I can't leave books half way finished, even if they are complete twoddle. Once I'm a few chapters in I have to keep going even if my eyes bleed Suspect There has been the odd occasion where I've read half a book, extremely tempted to give it up and then BANG the last half has been brilliant. Those are the book which are sort of worthwhile compared to the ones that start out great then just die off into nothing.
Fanmale
Fanmale
Rookie Writer

Back to top Go down

Post  MistyBlue Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:55 pm

I finished it! Twilight! I'm pleased I did too as it was boring the hell out of me sorry to say! Even the ending was predictable and trite. Oh well I can move on to reading a few others on the shelf now. Very Happy
MistyBlue
MistyBlue
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  SammyR Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:02 pm

MistyBlue wrote:I finished it! Twilight! I'm pleased I did too as it was boring the hell out of me sorry to say! Even the ending was predictable and trite. Oh well I can move on to reading a few others on the shelf now. Very Happy

I guess you won't be reading the sequels then? Rolling Eyes
SammyR
SammyR
Trainee Writer

Back to top Go down

Post  MistyBlue Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:49 pm

SammyR wrote:
MistyBlue wrote:I finished it! Twilight! I'm pleased I did too as it was boring the hell out of me sorry to say! Even the ending was predictable and trite. Oh well I can move on to reading a few others on the shelf now. Very Happy

I guess you won't be reading the sequels then? Rolling Eyes

um no is the answer to that! Smile

Moved on to Wuthering Heights and The Time Travellers Wife!
MistyBlue
MistyBlue
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DanielaJackson Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:50 am

The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco, its really cool. It is a detective with the elements of history. Very Happy
DanielaJackson
DanielaJackson
Rookie Writer

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down