Writers Online
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» Workshop Meeting 6th October
Facebook EmptyTue Oct 06, 2009 12:21 pm by MistyBlue

» Sniffly and Snuffly
Facebook EmptyWed Sep 30, 2009 2:03 pm by SammyR

» How much do freelancers make?
Facebook EmptyWed Sep 30, 2009 2:02 pm by SammyR

» Newbie on the scene.
Facebook EmptyWed Sep 30, 2009 9:10 am by Starflower

» Grammar and Good Writing
Facebook EmptyTue Sep 29, 2009 11:43 pm by Crakan68

» Book Excerpt
Facebook EmptyTue Sep 29, 2009 7:58 pm by MistyBlue

» Cancelled - Group Meeting on Tuesday 29th September 2009
Facebook EmptyThu Sep 24, 2009 2:25 pm by MistyBlue

» Nice to meet you
Facebook EmptyThu Sep 24, 2009 11:37 am by DanielaJackson

Facebook EmptyThu Sep 24, 2009 11:34 am by DanielaJackson

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Social bookmarking

Social bookmarking reddit      

Bookmark and share the address of Writers Workshop on your social bookmarking website

Bookmark and share the address of Writers Online on your social bookmarking website

Facebook

+2
Crakan68
MistyBlue
6 posters

Go down

Facebook Empty Facebook

Post  MistyBlue Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:24 am

Two of my 'friends' have left. Mainly because of all the horror stories of hacking, and paeds getting free reign access to so many children pics.

I have to say that I have seen hundreds of photos of people and babies I don't know because my 'friends' on my list have the function 'show pics to friends of friends' enabled in their settings. This means that when one of my friends makes a comment on one of their friends pics, I get to see all those pics too!

I don't know why people allow that function. I don't mind MY friends seeing my family albums, but I wouldn't want all THEIR friends to see them too, those are people I don't even know.

Well just wondering what you guys thought about it.
MistyBlue
MistyBlue
Admin

Back to top Go down

Facebook Empty Re: Facebook

Post  Crakan68 Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:22 pm

I can't see what the fuss is about (using facebook I mean).

Surely if you want to chat to people you know just pick up a phone, letter or E-MAIL. What is it with all this constant contact through a programme on the computer. In the old days everybody you knew and all your friends were 'around' you or contactable by phone, not at the end of an 'inbox.' All very silly if you ask me, or even if you didn't that's my two cents. Laughing

Crakan68
Rookie Writer

Back to top Go down

Post  angelblade1889 Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:48 pm

I have to say I like face book. I live so far away from all my friends and family and it's an easy way of keeping in contact and posting photos and videos of my little one to keep them upto date.
Yes I could e-mail but it would take me hours uploading all the pics and typing seperate messages, that's after converting some of the videos and pics to be compatable with some of the e-mail provders that they use.
I could phone but that would cost me a fortune! I called my mum last week as she had an accident and for jus 6 mins it cost me approx. 5 pounds!

I have all my pics and videos set to friends only view as I also do not want people I don't know having access to them, but at least there is the option of this, if there was no option I would have left facebook ages ago!
angelblade1889
angelblade1889
Rookie Writer

Back to top Go down

Post  SammyR Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:07 pm

I think people make too much fuss over it. MOST people aren't interested in a strangers pics.

Crakan... unfortunately that is the way things are now. The written-by-hand-and-posted-with-a-stamp letter is a very rare thing now. Why bother when you can send something online in less than 5 minutes? But yes it does take the whole personal effect away and is less valuable imo!

Well FB and that sort of thing I can understand if you use it like Angel said, for keeping in touch with family abroad and that, but a lot of the time it seems to be used for showing off or braggin about whatever someone's doing lol.. just it seems that way! Wink
SammyR
SammyR
Trainee Writer

Back to top Go down

Post  angelblade1889 Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:43 am

No Sammy, you are right! There is a lot of boasting that goes on and with certain ppl I know here there is a lot of status updates that are just put up for sympathy. I don't worry too much about them now lol.
I used to write to all my family and friend via post, but it got to the poit where they just replied by e-mail so in the end (after two years of persevering, and telling them I look forward to getting letters in the post) I gave up.

I have to admit that this way is far easier and cheaper for me though.
The other great thing now is skype (video phone). I can't begin to tell you how much money that has saved me with keeping in contact with my family that actually have computers. And it's nice for them as they get to see how baby is growing and babbling lol.
angelblade1889
angelblade1889
Rookie Writer

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:11 am

I don't have time for these type of sites. If I spent all my spare time on them I wouldn't get to do any writing, and for me there are much more important things, but each to his own I guess. Very Happy
Martin
Martin
Rookie Writer

Back to top Go down

Post  Athas Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:35 am

MistyBlue wrote:Two of my 'friends' have left. Mainly because of all the horror stories of hacking, and paeds getting free reign access to so many children pics.

I have to say that I have seen hundreds of photos of people and babies I don't know because my 'friends' on my list have the function 'show pics to friends of friends' enabled in their settings. This means that when one of my friends makes a comment on one of their friends pics, I get to see all those pics too!

I don't know why people allow that function. I don't mind MY friends seeing my family albums, but I wouldn't want all THEIR friends to see them too, those are people I don't even know.

Well just wondering what you guys thought about it.

I don't know if I agree really. I mean what's the big deal if people can see pictures of your or your family. Its not like really the paedofiles can search for these pictures. If people see pictures like this the most common thing that strangers will think is how boring another persons family picture. Some may think what a cute baby.

Even if one does see these pictures. Whats he going to do? I'm sure its just as likely for one to see them if they have pictures anywhere else in public. I mean do people not hire their children to advertising agencys, for adverts of toddlers toy, powdered milk etc. These pictures are going to have a much higher exposure.

Really I feel people are far to concerned in general with the bad people out there and forget that your average person is pretty decient.

angelblade1889 wrote:I live so far away from all my friends and family and it's an easy way of keeping in contact and posting photos and videos of my little one to keep them upto date.

This I agree with but it leaves the onus on everyone to check everyone elses page on a regular interval. This is something I'm not good at and really don't even do.

@cracken
Yes I believe theres far too much fuss and too many people try to arrange their lives through a website. http://www.grokdotcom.com/2008/04/25/have-we-gone-20-far-facebook-wedding-invites/ Thats my view completely.

Also it really annoys me that people used to send me invitations to things when I didn't have an account (which is only reciently opened). Its very much something like if you want to be my friend you have to open an account on yet another service. Well it sucks.

Now I've joined and I guess I've arround 40 friends who the vast majoity of them are ex work collegues. I rarely sign in. I even more rarely post anything anywhere and I can't keep track of the status updates of the people I'm most intrested in as people spam status every couple of hours. Its probably like everything else I've ever joined online. Eventurally I'll just stop signing in. Then my account will languish there in cyberspace.
Athas
Athas
Rookie Writer

Back to top Go down

Post  angelblade1889 Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:00 am

angelblade1889 wrote:I live so far away from all my friends and family and it's an easy way of keeping in contact and posting photos and videos of my little one to keep them upto date.

This I agree with but it leaves the onus on everyone to check everyone elses page on a regular interval. This is something I'm not good at and really don't even do.

Yes your right it does leave the onus on them to check, but it saves me getting at the "oh but we haven't seen him for ages, can you send us some pictures for and... and... and ...would like some too" rubbish that I used to get all the time, taking up time and money that I could spend elsewhere on more important things. So yes it's up to them to check my page but then if they don't that's fine too, I only do it for their benifit anyway so not my loss, and the exrta money can go on more toys for bubba Laughing
angelblade1889
angelblade1889
Rookie Writer

Back to top Go down

Post  MistyBlue Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:17 am

I use it to moan and I don't really care if that's considered a good or bad thing lol. If I can't moan to anyone because I am at home alone with the little one and he is driving me up the wall!!!!!!!!!!

Well, why not just go in THERE and moan for free to people who aren't in the LEAST bit interested and well, they don't have to read it anyway. (Athas - There is a function to hide people and so you won't get any of their status updates including mine! Razz )
MistyBlue
MistyBlue
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Crakan68 Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:28 pm

Ah Angel I didn't realise you had family far away, that does make sense. Talking of facebook isn't Twitter exactly the same thing or am I mistaken?

Crakan68
Rookie Writer

Back to top Go down

Post  angelblade1889 Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:55 pm

Misty, I use it to moan too, but hey I can't moan at baby he's too small, and hubby is still working 16hrs a day 7 days a week, so he's not here to moan at lol.
Yes, all my family and friends live in the uk, so sending stuff gets qite expensive, nd phoning...forget it, I'm not that rich, especially as I have a huge family!
Facebook has good points and bad, mostly good if you know how to use it and all the functions, like misty mentioned blocking ppl is sometimes very usefull lol, but I have to say on the whole it's good for me.
Oh and twitter is crud! I tried it and closed the account after 3 days...at least I don't get bored on facebook lol
angelblade1889
angelblade1889
Rookie Writer

Back to top Go down

Post  Athas Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:09 pm

Yeah I really don't understand the idea of twitter.

One thing that I found interesting is I read not having a social networking profile can hurt your chances of getting a job. Basically prospective employers will often search for a person to see what type of person they are. Not having a profile on linked in or facebook can make it look like you've nothing interesting to say. Shocked

I don't know about you but it just makes my mind boggle. pale

Last edited by Athas on Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:13 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Cause I didn't make sense the first time. I negated an expression that shouldn't be negated.)
Athas
Athas
Rookie Writer

Back to top Go down

Post  MistyBlue Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:22 pm

If you think Twitter is silly you should see Digg.. I've looked at it a few times and I still haven't the slightest clue what it is or what it is used for. It's just a weird site!
MistyBlue
MistyBlue
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum