Writers Online
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» Workshop Meeting 6th October
Charater analysis attempt EmptyTue Oct 06, 2009 12:21 pm by MistyBlue

» Sniffly and Snuffly
Charater analysis attempt EmptyWed Sep 30, 2009 2:03 pm by SammyR

» How much do freelancers make?
Charater analysis attempt EmptyWed Sep 30, 2009 2:02 pm by SammyR

» Newbie on the scene.
Charater analysis attempt EmptyWed Sep 30, 2009 9:10 am by Starflower

» Grammar and Good Writing
Charater analysis attempt EmptyTue Sep 29, 2009 11:43 pm by Crakan68

» Book Excerpt
Charater analysis attempt EmptyTue Sep 29, 2009 7:58 pm by MistyBlue

» Cancelled - Group Meeting on Tuesday 29th September 2009
Charater analysis attempt EmptyThu Sep 24, 2009 2:25 pm by MistyBlue

» Nice to meet you
Charater analysis attempt EmptyThu Sep 24, 2009 11:37 am by DanielaJackson

Charater analysis attempt EmptyThu Sep 24, 2009 11:34 am by DanielaJackson

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Social bookmarking

Social bookmarking reddit      

Bookmark and share the address of Writers Workshop on your social bookmarking website

Bookmark and share the address of Writers Online on your social bookmarking website

Charater analysis attempt

4 posters

Go down

Charater analysis attempt Empty Charater analysis attempt

Post  angelblade1889 Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:39 pm

So there we all sat. Another Christmas dinner all together around the big oak table. I glance at the clock…only 2.33pm, damn! Was I the only one there that couldn’t wait for it all to be over? My mind begins to ponder this as I look slowly and analytically around the circle of people that I’m supposed to feel most comfortable and at home with.
Firstly there is Paula, Mum, the peace maker and genuine know it all. I don’t really know how she has done if for all these years. Whatever the squabble, whoever is involved, she never seems to actually take a side or fall out with either party. A proud lady, beaming from ear to ear that all her family are together once again, her dark brown eyes sparkle as everyone tucks into the magnificent feast she has lovingly prepared.
To her right sits, Tom, Dad. He’s a joker and can make anyone laugh no matter how they are feeling, that is until he takes it too far, and is the only one left thinking that it’s still funny. A stocky man, strong but now showing signs of aging. His eyes once big and bright are now small and embraced from all sides by wrinkles. His stomach now looking quite pregnant due to years of over indulging on things Paula has served up night after night.
“Can you pass the potatoes”? Hmmm typical, too greedy and concentrated on devouring yet another roastie to even consider a please…….I have to question how my brother Martin, ended up with such a greedy self obsessed person in the first place? Daisy, such a pretty name, I automatically picture an elegant lady attached to it, and not the human waste disposal that sit’s before me. She hurriedly moves a strand of hair from in front of her face as she manages to stuff a whole yorkshire pudding in her mouth in one fell swoop! I wonder if that is why she looks so bedraggled and unkempt, maybe she is too busy eating toast in the morning to brush her wavy brown, shoulder length hair? She peers at me from behind a fork loaded with food, I just smile, she hates me, but that’s ok as the feeling is mutual.
I spy a little look from my other brother Jake. He looks at me with his bright blue eyes, a soft friendly, understanding look. He knows the situation, but bless him he is just happy to have everyone together. “Do you want some more gravy”? he asks. I’m sure this is his way of distracting me and turning my attention to him. He’s a very big man, tall, broad and also carrying a few extra pounds of Mum’s cooking, but such a gentle giant with a heart as big as a dustbin lid. Kind, caring and generous it’s almost impossible to think that Jake and Martin are related let alone brothers!
Martin is not a bad man, he is just to self centered and wrapped up in his own little world to even realise there are other people in it apart from him and Daisy. Although the family resemblance is there, tall, dark hair, blue eyes, and of a big build. I look over towards him, there’s no point in trying to speak with him as he is again off, far, far away in Martin Land.
I glance again at the clock, 2.41pm, my heart sinks. Oh well at least I only have to suffer this once a year, but next year when they ask me what I want for Christmas, I may just have to answer…….to be alone!
angelblade1889
angelblade1889
Rookie Writer

Back to top Go down

Charater analysis attempt Empty Re: Charater analysis attempt

Post  MistyBlue Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:22 pm

That's really good Julia lol. I take it that its your family with changed names?? Sounds like a typical family scenario...the ending is cool.. yes I know what it feels like! I hate xmas dinners/family stuff myself, I avoid them!
MistyBlue
MistyBlue
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  angelblade1889 Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:41 pm

Yeah based on them, but quite a few bit changed, still gives you an idea though lol
angelblade1889
angelblade1889
Rookie Writer

Back to top Go down

Post  SammyR Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:12 pm

hehe that is one interesting family (no offence) Angel! Smile

Sounds like my parents too.. only my dad doesn't keep on with the jokes as nobody EVER laughs at them because their terrible! Poor guy lol
SammyR
SammyR
Trainee Writer

Back to top Go down

Post  angelblade1889 Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:45 am

lol, no offence taken. Yes they are pretty intense to say the least. My Dad's jokes are rubbish, but he laughs and then you can't help but laugh. And even when you tell him your laughing at him not the joke, he laughs even more lol
angelblade1889
angelblade1889
Rookie Writer

Back to top Go down

Post  SammyR Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:34 pm

angelblade1889 wrote:lol, no offence taken. Yes they are pretty intense to say the least. My Dad's jokes are rubbish, but he laughs and then you can't help but laugh. And even when you tell him your laughing at him not the joke, he laughs even more lol

That is quite a funny picture actually lol - i think you mite be good at writing some 'funny family short stories?'
SammyR
SammyR
Trainee Writer

Back to top Go down

Post  angelblade1889 Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:18 am

Do you really think I could be good at it? I would like to try that actually, I have so many funny stories from over the years....even one when my big bro laughed so hard while eating dinner that spaghetti came out of his nose! It would have been very disgusting if it wasn't for seeing my mum and dad cry with laughter Very Happy
angelblade1889
angelblade1889
Rookie Writer

Back to top Go down

Post  SammyR Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:49 pm

Definitely think you could Angel. Have you read "French Relations" by Fiona Walker, its from the point of view of a girl who goes on a holiday with her entire family, results = hilarious. In fact, its one of my favourite authors and its my fave book of hers, it's brilliant. I actually fell off my BED laughing at this book!!!! Get it and read it if you can......heres the link!

http://www.fionawalker.com/french-relations

Oh and she never planned on being a writer according to her site, she just wrote some stuff and people laughed at it and so she sent it off and that was it ! lol
SammyR
SammyR
Trainee Writer

Back to top Go down

Post  angelblade1889 Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:00 am

I'll have to get my mum to see iif she can send it over to me as reading material here is hard to get hold of in english. Not sure when I'll get to read it though, baby is still trying to eat books! Thanks for the suggestion, I'll let you know if I manage to get hold of it.
angelblade1889
angelblade1889
Rookie Writer

Back to top Go down

Post  Crakan68 Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:53 pm

SammyR wrote:
angelblade1889 wrote:lol, no offence taken. Yes they are pretty intense to say the least. My Dad's jokes are rubbish, but he laughs and then you can't help but laugh. And even when you tell him your laughing at him not the joke, he laughs even more lol

That is quite a funny picture actually lol - i think you mite be good at writing some 'funny family short stories?'

I couldn't agree more. Go angel! Let your family guide you to your first bestseller ! cheers Oh and don't forget to share your first chapter with us Cool

Crakan68
Rookie Writer

Back to top Go down

Post  angelblade1889 Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:30 am

Thank you all, it's very encouraging to hear that you think I could do it. I have just lost a close friend very suddenly, but when things calm down for me I will deffinately give it a go and post it on here as your opinions do mean a lot to me, thank you again.
angelblade1889
angelblade1889
Rookie Writer

Back to top Go down

Post  SammyR Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:55 am

So sorry to hear that Angel.. I hope you feel better soon.

Take your time re thebook, that particular one was just a suggestion because I remember it being about a family, andwhen I read your short I thought it was kind of similar.. some people take 3 years to write a book others take 6 weeks lol, it just depends on the person and how much time/motivation they have. I wanna do a series of young adult novels, which from an editors point of view is around 14-18 years of age, but there's a big difference in mentality in that gap I reckon, so its kinda hard to get the right tone!! Hence, I'm doing lots of reading and research and taking my time before I hit that first chapter... Smile
SammyR
SammyR
Trainee Writer

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum